Congratulations are in order
The shortlist for the Alberta literary awards has been posted, and there is good news for many TNQ writers:
- Lisa Martin-deMoor [TNQ # 120], winner of last year’s Edna Staebler Personal Essay Contest is nominated for the James H. Gray Award for Short Nonfiction for her winning essay, “A Container of Light.”
- Alice Major  is nominated for the Wilfrid Eggleston Award for Nonfiction for her collection of essays, Intersecting Sets: A Poet Looks at Science. I’m sure you’ll remember her fabulous essay, “The Ultraviolet Catastrophe,” on the same theme in the Quarc issue.
- Barb Howard  is nominated for the R. Ross Annett Award for Children’s Literature for her YA novel, The Dewpoint Show.
- Michael Penny  is nominated for the Stephan G. Stephansson Award for Poetry for his collection, Particles. So is Tim Bowling [XIII.4], for Tenderman.
- Rosemary Nixon is nominated for the Georges Bugnet Award for Fiction, for Kalila, an excerpt of which we published while the novel was still in progress back in 1997.
These awards come with cash prizes of $700-$1500, so we wish good luck and fortune to our nominated writers! The winners will be announced at the Alberta Book Awards Gala on Saturday June 9, 2012.