This is the page to submit your fiction to The New Quarterly! There are no length restrictions, but please note that the longer the piece, the more we have to justify its appearance in the magazine. That said, we have published long poems, poem cycles, and novellas. We rarely publish pieces longer than 6000 words. We do not print novel excerpts. Think “short fiction” as a category. More information can be found below, as well as the place to begin the submission process, but don’t procrastinate as we can only accept 150 submissions per issue.
If you are new to The New Quarterly, consider entering your fiction piece in the annual Peter Hinchcliffe Short Fiction Award Contest.
- Fiction – $275
- Postscript – $50 per piece
- Plus a complimentary copy and a special contributor subscription rate.
- Online submissions must be in a single MS Word (.doc, .docx) or PDF format file.
- Title your submission in the following format: YourSurname_SubmissionTitle (i.e. Bala_Butter-Tea-at-Starbucks).
- You must include a cover letter with your submission. Include your cover letter as the first page of your submission.
- Include a word count at the end of your work.
- Include page numbers.
- Include your name on every page.
- We will accept one piece per author, per genre, per calendar year. Contest submissions do not count towards this total.
- We will accept no more than one piece of fiction, or 3 postscript stories per submission.
- Do not include footnotes or Works Cited in your submission. If notes or references are central to your project, try to sort out attribution issues before submitting, or in conversation with TNQ editors.
We have currently reached our cap for Fiction submissions (both online and mail-in). Please check back at the beginning of our next submission period.
A reminder of our Reading Cycles:
The New Quarterly holds two annual reading periods for each genre. Submissions sent between March 1st and August 31st will receive a response around late January. Submissions sent between September 1st and February 28th will receive a response around late August.