Position Available: Managing Editor
The New Quarterly Literary Society Inc.
Location: 290 Westmount Rd. N, Waterloo, ON, Canada N2L 3G3
Job type: Full-time role; flexible hours and hybrid working arrangements negotiable
Vacation: Four weeks, including two during the December holiday period
Date posted: 2021/09/28
Application deadline: 2021/10/12
The New Quarterly (TNQ), an award-winning not-for-profit literary magazine, is searching for its next Managing Editor. TNQ was established in 1981 and publishes fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction. The organization is renowned for finding, as well as nurturing, emerging writers and for supporting established talent. More information about The New Quarterly can be found at: www.tnq.ca.
In addition to passionate support of the writing community, the person we are looking for is a detail-oriented, resourceful generalist who enjoys the variety and responsibility that comes from being involved in all aspects of a small, collegial not-for-profit.
The Managing Editor works closely with the Editor and Board of Directors to manage TNQ’s day-to-day operations. The successful candidate will also collaborate with staff and volunteers in the coordination and execution of TNQ events, including writing contests, the Podcast Project, the X-Page Project, and the Wild Writers Literary Festival. The New Quarterly, an equal opportunity employer, values diversity and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind.
Marketing, Public Relations, and Audience Development/Circulation
- Manage writing contest marketing and administration
- Secure and manage new print and online advertising
- Develop audience expansion strategies
- Actively manage social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, newsletter, etc.)
- Seek appropriate partnerships with other organizations
- Plan and promote public outreach events
- Write appropriate copy, such as press releases, as required
- Work with the Editor to execute annual grant calendar; apply for annual operating and program grants; fulfill all reporting/grant or recognition requirements with support from the Office Administrator and Treasurer
- Take the lead in researching, writing, submitting, and reporting for grants
- Conduct annual fundraising/donation appeals
- Develop new sources of revenue (e.g. products and/or services)
- Manage quality and content of TNQ’s website and blog, and write copy as required
- Monitor, analyze, and optimize Web statistics
- Keep abreast of industry trends
Management & Administration
- Recruit and manage in-house volunteers and co-op students
- Work with Board committees: Finance, Marketing & Communications,
- Oversee the logistics, administration, ticket sales, and marketing for the Wild Writers Literary Festival in conjunction with the WWLF collective
- Work with the Treasurer and Editor to develop annual budgets and to monitor actual results vs. budget
- Attend quarterly Board meetings and work with Editor to prepare related reports
- Undergraduate degree and/or college diploma in English, Communications, Publishing, or other relevant field required
- Proven experience as a Managing Editor or other relevant role
- Publishing experience an asset
- Strong up-to-date knowledge of office productivity tools, publishing and subscription management programs and online platforms, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress, MailChimp, Zoom meeting and Zoom webinar functions, and social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Proficiency in English and strong writing, editing, and copywriting skills
- Experience with grant writing and the grant application process an asset
- Experience developing and maintaining budgets an asset
- Ability to solve problems and take initiative, strong organizational skills, keen attention to detail
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to build on and develop partnerships
- Ability to work well as part of a small team as well as comfortable working independently
- Ability to work evenings and weekends, as required, particularly during the Wild Writers Literary Festival
To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org noting “TNQ Managing Editor” in the subject line.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however, we will only contact you if you are selected for an interview.