This is the page to submit your poetry to The New Quarterly! We print free verse, ballad, sonnet, epic, and prose poems, and there’s no need to rhyme unless you want to. TNQ is a generalist magazine, interested in work in a wide variety of formal and stylistic modes. Freshness of style, subject matter, perspective is something we look for. Pick up an issue to get an idea of our tastes. More information can be found below, as well as the place to begin your submission, but don’t procrastinate as we can only accept 120 submissions per issue.
If you are looking for more places to submit to The New Quarterly, consider entering your poetry to the annual Nick Blatchford Occasional Verse Contest, for poems written in response to an existing occasion, or that make an occasion of something ordinary.
- Poetry – $50 per piece
- Plus a complimentary copy and a special contributor subscription rate.
- Online submissions must be in a single MS Word (.doc, .docx) or PDF format file..
- Title your submission in the following format: YourSurname_SubmissionTitle (i.e. Bala_Butter-Tea-at-Starbucks).
- You must include a cover letter with your submission. Include your cover letter as the first page of your submission.
- Indicate stanza breaks in poetry.
- Include a word count at the end of your work.
- Include page numbers on prose or multi-page poems.
- Include your name on every page.
- We will accept one piece per author, per genre, per calendar year. Contest submissions do not count towards this total.
- We will accept no more than 3 poems per submission.
- Do not include footnotes or Works Cited in your submission. If notes or references are central to your project, try to sort out attribution issues before submitting, or in conversation with TNQ editors.
We have currently reached our cap for Poetry submissions (both online and mail-in). Please check back at the beginning of our next submission period.
A reminder of our Reading Cycles:
The New Quarterly holds two annual reading periods for each genre. Submissions sent between March 1st and August 31st will receive a response around late January. Submissions sent between September 1st and February 28th will receive a response around late August.