$1000 for one outstanding short story
Sponsored by the St Jerome’s University English Department and Duotrope
Deadline: May 28, 2020
This contest honours distinguished St Jerome’s University lecturer, Peter Hinchcliffe, who was instrumental in founding The New Quarterly and who served for many years as co-editor. His approach to teaching, as well as his personal charm and endearing sense of humour, had an enduring influence on both students and colleagues; this award recognizes Peter’s outstanding contributions to his home department.
Entry & Eligibility Details
- One top prize including $1000 and a one-year Duotrope Gift Certificate (a USD $50 value) will be awarded for one work of short fiction.
- While there is no specified word count, 3,000 words is the suggested upper limit.
- Entry fee: $40 per piece (includes a 1-year Canadian subscription or renewal to The New Quarterly).
- Submissions must be unpublished, nor can they have been accepted for publication elsewhere.
- Submissions are accepted online only.
- Entrants must be Canadian (citizen or resident).
- Entrants must not have published either a first novel or short story collection.
- Ensure that the entrant’s name does not appear on the submission document.
- All entries will be considered for publication in The New Quarterly ($250 paid upon publication).
- Entrants’ anonymity will be preserved throughout the judging process.
- Decisions will be made by August 31st. Finalists will be notified by email.
- Header and footer area must be clear (do not include page numbers)
- Font size 12 (minimum)
- 1.5 spacing preferred
- Document type must be either .docx, .doc, or .rtf
- Include the word count at the bottom of your document
- Title should be included in document
Interviews with past contest winners:
2019: Paola Ferrante for “The Underside of a Wing”
2018: Katie Zdybel for “The Last Thunderstorm Swim of the Summer”
2017: Shannon Blake for “The Mataram Miracle”
2016: Lisa Alward for “Old Growth”
2015: Sivan Slapak for “Road One”
2014: Alanna Marie Scott for “Maybe the World is Ending”
We also accept payment by cheque or credit card over the phone.
Contact us at 519-884-8111 ext. 28290 or at info[at]tnq.ca for more information.
For serious budgetary and tax reasons, if you
already have a subscription to The New Quarterly for the coming year, we ask that you kindly consider gifting the subscription included with your entry to a friend.
By selecting “Gift My Subscription!” in the form below, you will make our accountants breathe a sigh of relief and introduce someone you know to The New Quarterly!