$1000 for one outstanding short story
Sponsored by the St Jerome’s University English Department and Duotrope
Deadline: May 28, 2019
This contest honours distinguished St Jerome’s University lecturer, Peter Hinchcliffe, who was instrumental in founding The New Quarterly and who served for many years as co-editor. His approach to teaching, as well as his personal charm and endearing sense of humour, had an enduring influence on both students and colleagues; this award recognizes Peter’s outstanding contributions to his home department.
Entry & Eligibility Details
- One top prize including $1000 and a one-year Duotrope Gift Certificate (a USD $50 value) will be awarded for one work of short fiction (no word limit).
- Entry fee: $40 per piece (includes a 1-year Canadian subscription or renewal to The New Quarterly).
- Submissions must be unpublished, nor can they have been accepted for publication elsewhere.
- Submissions are accepted online only.
- Entrants must be Canadian (citizen or resident).
- Entrants must not have published either a first novel or short story collection.
- Ensure that the entrant’s name does not appear on the submission document.
- All entries will be considered for publication in The New Quarterly ($250 paid upon publication).
- Entrants’ anonymity will be preserved throughout the judging process.
- Decisions will be made by August 31st. Finalists will be notified by email.
- Header and footer area must be clear (do not include page numbers)
- Font size 12 (minimum)
- 1.5 spacing preferred
- Document type must be either .doc or .rtf
- Include the word count at the bottom of your document
- title should be included in document
Interviews with past contest winners:
We also accept payment by cheque or credit card over the phone.
Contact us at 519-884-8111 ext. 28290 or at info[at]tnq.ca for more information.
For serious budgetary and tax reasons, if you
already have a subscription to The New Quarterly for the coming year, we ask that you kindly consider gifting the subscription included with your entry to a friend.
By selecting “Gift My Subscription!” in the form below, you will make our accountants breathe a sigh of relief and introduce someone you know to The New Quarterly!